MAN CHARGED FOR FRENCH MURDER 36 YEARS AFTER CRIME

2022-05-14T07:00:00.0000000Z

2022-05-14T07:00:00.0000000Z

The Manila Times

https://digitaledition.manilatimes.net/article/281925956610309

Asia And Oceania

French prosecutors said Thursday (Friday in Manila) they had cracked a 36-year-old cold case after charging a man with the murder of a young woman who disappeared in a small Alpine town in the 1980s. Marie-Therese Bonfanti, a 25-year-old mother of two, went missing while delivering newspapers in Pontcharra, north-east of Grenoble, and her body was never found. Local prosecutor Eric Vaillant said that a man had been charged with her murder and had “confessed to having killed her” while in custody. He had been considered a suspect at the time of the disappearance due to his violent character. Prosecutors believe the murder was due to a “dispute,” rather than being sexually motivated. The case was reopened in 2020, thanks to campaigning from Bonfanti’s family and her husband.

en-ph